Monday, May 18, 2009

Hiking at Songshan in Beijing









Today I skived off work and climbed around on Song Shan or pine Mtn. We have been there a few times for picnics but I never went to the end of the trail. It was about a 2 hour hike.

Just past the sign that said no tourists there was a nice pine forest. The trees are between 100 and 400 years old but because there is little rain they don't get very big. This is the only natural pine grove in the north of China so I guess it was worth seeing. Also, there is a natural spring that gushes out of the rocks and people gather there.

There was also a poplar grove of dwarf popular at about the 1200 meter level It was nice. Today was the hottest day ever at 37degrees but it was nice in the mountians. All told, the climb is about 600 meters from 700 to 13-1400 meters.

No comments: